Wednesday, May 12, 2010

ANTS - MY INPIRATION

A colony of black soldier ants, have made a corner of a door in my home, as theirs. They existed just like me. They didn’t bother me, so I didn’t bother them. Or it must have been the influence of having watched the movie, “A bug’s life”.

A few nights ago, at 1 am, when I finished my studies, I saw that they were still up and about, working. I hadn’t thought about them in a personal way until then. At first I thought that since the light was on, they must have thought it was day. I switched off the light, waited, and watched through the crack of light from my bedroom. They were still working hard. My next thought was, maybe they were unsuccessful in finding any food, because the area where they made their home was clean. So I went to the kitchen and brought a pinch of rice flour for them, and deposited it as near to the entrance of their home, as I possibly could. They wouldn’t even look at it. I tried to even change their tracks by moving one or two of them towards the food. They must have been scared, but no use.

I wondered if ants do not believe in handouts. Finally it dawned on me that they are just being themselves. Industrious! All you know they are ants of this century, and must have been on night duty. And I thought I had done learning for that night, the ants had something more to teach me then. Although I am glad nobody saw me in action, these industrious ants inspire me. Now when I look at them, I respect them. They have a character, all their own. Am I a little crazy?

No comments:

Post a Comment