Wednesday, October 7, 2009

TUESDAY - OCTOBER 6, 2009

It was a normal day at work. I knew that I have 2 commitments this evening. The second one was the launch of the book “Mosaic” which was a collection of a few budding writers over the past academic year. I was one of them. The project was begun by the college as a gratitude to the country. I thought the function would start at 7:30 pm and reached there by 7:20. I got lost on my way due to the different pathways and buildings within the college campus.

Soon my friend started calling me frantically, “Stella, where are you?” We are all waiting for you. I told her I was lost on my way and wasn’t the function to start only at 7 pm. She told me otherwise and I got frantic as well. My bad sense of direction unusually worked out fine this day. I took a cut across a huge ground to enter the comforting library and saw a small gathering of 25 to 30 people. Most of them were the new authors, the rest were the hardworking team behind the evening, the well-wishers and families of the authors.

The authors got their names pinned on their shirts or dresses. The function started and we the authors felt important that even the press were there. I had been asked in advance by our mentor Paula, to read my poem at the launch and I had agreed. When I was called to the podium, I gave a brief description of our writing classes, unprepared, therefore straight from my heart to the audience. I read my poem too.

After the talk by Paula’s boss and vote of thanks to all who worked behind the scenes to get this done, we stood for some pictures and then started on the refreshments. I got the first pleasurable punch to my heart when Paula asked me for my signature on the book. Vow, now I truly felt like an author.

One of my wildest dreams was coming true right in front of my eyes. My husband was waiting in the sidelines and didn’t want to encroach on my evening though I would have very much liked him to. I got to know the rest of the authors who were all excited, happy and willing to sign on a copy of the book for me. The authors got to take extra copies of the book and we left the library with a smile on our faces.

One of the two memorable days of my life. It will always remain close to my heart.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I think my previous comment didn't register!

    Congrats!!!! That sure is a heady feeling :))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ganga. Yes it is. More so when our picture came in the paper two days later and I was quoted.

    ReplyDelete